General Soils Information
- Extension Soils Portal
- Soil Science.Info NC State Soils Department Outreach
- Soils 101 – a self-paced, online, distance education course offered by NC State Extension and NC State Soil Science Department.
- NC State Soils Publications
- Soils Chapter of the Extension Gardener Handbook
- Modifying Soil for Plant Growth around Your Home
- Soils Magazine – Soil Science Solutions
- Soil Science Society of America
- Soils Matter
- Discover Soils
- Web Soil Survey
- A Gardeners Guide to Soil Testing
- NCDA&CS Soils Lab
- NCDA&CS Soil Sampling Picture Guide
- Soil Testing for Lawns and Gardens
- Video on how to conduct a soil test
- Composting Chapter of the Extension Gardener Handbook
- Composting Resources, Growing Small Farms
- Backyard Composting of Yard, Garden, and Food Discards
- Vermicomposting, Includes information on Earthworm facts, Worms and Worm Bins, For Households, For Schools, For Businesses, Farms, Institutions, Municipalities
- Worms Can Recycle Your Garbage
- Raising Earthworms Successfully
- Vermicomposting Conference. An annual conference about earthworm farming and commercial vermicomposting taught by industry experts. This conference is for both beginners and seasoned earthworm farm operators.
- Herbicide Carryover. Broadleaf herbicides applied to pastures can be consumed by livestock and passed through to manures. The herbicides may also be present is straw and hay. This publication identifies the types of herbicides, crops sensitive to the herbicides how to prevent contamination and how to test.
- Cover Crop Basics – 2 pgs Spanish Version
- Improve your Garden Soil with Cover Crops
- Cover Crops for Sustainable Production
- Cover Crop Planting Guide, 2 pgs
- Building Healthy Vegetable Garden Soils With Cover Crops, 19 pgs
- Minimizing Risks of Soil Contaminants in Urban Gardens
- Reusing Potentially Contaminated Landscapes: Growing Gardens in Urban Soils. Environmental Protection Agency. 2011.
- SoilWeb Apps – GPS based, real-time access to USDA-NRCS soil survey data, formatted for mobile devices. This application retrieves graphical summaries of soil types associated with the user’s current geographic location. Images are linked to detailed information on the named soils.
Was the information on this page helpful?